A Frenectomy procedure may not be something you are super familiar with unless you have needed one in the past. A frenectomy is a dental procedure that involves the removal or modification of a small fold of tissue known as a frenum. These folds of tissue can be found in various parts of the mouth, including the lips, tongue, and cheeks. While these folds of tissue are typically harmless, they can sometimes cause issues that require the intervention of a dental professional. In this article, we will discuss the reasons for having a frenectomy procedure, the benefits of having a frenectomy procedure, and why Dr.s Platt, Janu and their expert team are the go-to choice for frenectomy procedures in Northwest Indiana.
Reasons for Having a Frenectomy Procedure
There are several reasons why someone may require a frenectomy procedure. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Tongue-Tie: When the frenum that attaches the tongue to the floor of the mouth is too short or tight, it can result in a condition known as tongue-tie. This can cause difficulty with breastfeeding, speech, and eating.
- Lip-Tie: Similarly, a short or tight frenum that attaches the upper lip to the gums can result in a condition known as lip-tie. This can cause issues with breastfeeding, speech, and dental health.
- Orthodontic Treatment: In some cases, a frenum can interfere with orthodontic treatment. For example, if the frenum is located in the area where a brace is to be placed, it may need to be removed to allow for proper alignment.
Benefits of Having a Frenectomy Procedure
There are several benefits to having a frenectomy procedure. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Improved Dental Health: Frenectomy procedures can help to improve dental health by eliminating issues such as tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath that can arise from an abnormal frenum.
- Improved Speech: Tongue-tie and lip-tie can cause issues with speech, particularly in children. By removing or modifying the frenum, a frenectomy procedure can help to improve speech and communication.
- Improved Breastfeeding: Tongue-tie and lip-tie can make breastfeeding difficult for both the baby and the mother. By addressing these issues with a frenectomy procedure, breastfeeding can be made easier and more comfortable for both parties.
Why Choose Dr. Upasna Janu and Her Team for Frenectomy Procedures in Northwest Indiana?
Dr. Upasna Janu and her team are experienced in performing frenectomy procedures for patients of all ages. They use the latest techniques and technologies to ensure that the procedure is as comfortable and effective as possible. In addition, they take a personalized approach to each patient’s care, ensuring that they receive the individualized attention and care they deserve. With their expertise and commitment to patient satisfaction, Dr. Upasna Janu and her team are the go-to choice for frenectomy procedures in Northwest Indiana.
If you or a loved one are experiencing issues with tongue-tie, lip-tie, or another frenum-related issue, a frenectomy procedure may be the solution you need. By removing or modifying the frenum, you can improve your dental health, speech, and overall quality of life. To learn more about frenectomy procedures in Northwest Indiana and how Dr. Jay Platt and Dr. Upasna Janu and their team can help, contact our office today.