Functional Crown Lengthening
Under the expertise of Dr. Upasna Janu, our team specializes in functional crown lengthening procedures. Whether you’re seeking improved oral functionality or a confident smile, we are here to help you achieve optimal dental health.
Functional Crown Lengthening Procedures:
Functional crown lengthening is a surgical procedure performed to expose more of the tooth structure. This treatment involves reshaping the gum tissue and, if necessary, the underlying bone to reveal a greater portion of the tooth’s surface. By doing so, functional crown lengthening enhances the functionality and health of your teeth, allowing for more effective restorative treatments or the placement of dental prosthetics such as crowns or bridges.
Who May Benefit from Functional Crown Lengthening Procedures:
Functional crown lengthening procedures are typically recommended for individuals who require additional tooth structure exposure to address functional concerns. This may include:
- Restorative Purposes: If a tooth is severely decayed or fractured below the gum line, functional crown lengthening can expose more tooth structure, enabling the dentist to restore the tooth effectively.
- Tooth Preparation for Dental Prosthetics: In cases where a tooth is broken near the gum line or there is insufficient tooth structure to support a dental crown or bridge, functional crown lengthening creates space for the prosthetic restoration.
- Gum Disease Treatment: In advanced stages of gum disease, pockets may form between the teeth and gums. Functional crown lengthening helps access these areas for thorough cleaning and eliminates diseased tissue.
Distinguishing Functional from Esthetic Crown Lengthening Procedures:
While functional crown lengthening primarily focuses on improving tooth functionality, esthetic crown lengthening concentrates on enhancing the appearance of your smile. Here are the key differences between the two procedures:
- Purpose: Functional crown lengthening aims to expose additional tooth structure to address functional concerns, such as tooth decay or inadequate tooth structure for restoration. Esthetic crown lengthening, on the other hand, is performed to create a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing gum line by reducing excessive gum tissue.
- Indications: Functional crown lengthening is typically performed for oral health reasons and functional restoration. Esthetic crown lengthening is usually elected for cosmetic purposes to correct a “gummy smile” or create symmetry between teeth and gums.
- Outcome: Functional crown lengthening primarily improves tooth functionality and enables the dentist to perform necessary restorative treatments. Esthetic crown lengthening enhances the appearance of the smile by achieving harmonious gum proportions, resulting in an improved overall aesthetic.
At Jay Platt, DDS Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center, we understand the significance of functional crown lengthening procedures in achieving optimal oral health. Dr. Upasna Janu and our skilled team are committed to providing you with personalized care, utilizing advanced techniques and state-of-the-art equipment. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and discover how functional crown lengthening can benefit you.